Registration is open for the 14th Annual Conference of the Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Association (HOPA), which will be held March 21–24, 2018, in Denver, CO. HOPA’s Annual Conference provides hematology/oncology pharmacists at all levels of experience with the education and research information they need to deliver the highest quality care to their patients.
Conference attendees will discuss current controversies relating to the screening and treatment of patients with solid tumors and hematologic malignancies, learn about new and emerging therapies for hematology and oncology patients, and review recent developments in the medical literature regarding hematology/oncology medications.
Thanks to the HOPA Annual Conference Program Committee for working collaboratively with a number of committees to design a conference that helps support the work of those in the field of hematology/oncology pharmacy.
Conference Web Central is your resource for conference-related information, including conference schedules and activities, so check the site frequently for updates.
Get the Conference App Today!
You can download the conference app now and see all that will be offered at conference before you arrive in Denver! Use it to view daily schedules, maps, session information, speaker bios, and more.
Visit goo.gl/6yTvCz on your mobile device to download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
Apple users also can access the app by searching the Apple App Store for “Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Association.”
Android users can access the app by searching the Google Play Store for “Hem/Onc Pharmacy Association.”
When you download the app, use your HOPA.org sign-in information to log in and access the HOPA 14th Annual Conference app.
Take time to attend the poster sessions on Thursday, 5–7:30 pm, and see the impressive work of our members. The authors will be present, and this is also a great opportunity for networking and initiating collaboration with colleagues.
At the 2018 Annual Conference all completed research posters and the top 10 trainee research posters will be presented electronically. This format will allow greater opportunities for interaction between abstract presenters and attendees and allow attendees to learn about a larger number of research projects. New posters will appear on the screens every 15–25 minutes.
The poster abstracts will be listed in the program book given to all conference attendees.
ePoster Presentation Schedule
|Screen 1||New poster every 25 minutes||Clinical/Translational|
|Screen 2||New poster every 25 minutes||Clinical/Translational|
|Screen 3||New poster every 25 minutes||Clinical/Translational|
|Screen 4||New poster every 25 minutes||Clinical/Translational|
|Screen 5||New poster every 25 minutes||Practice Management|
|Screen 6||New poster every 25 minutes||Practice Management|
|Screen 7||New poster every 25 minutes||Practice Management|
|Screen 8||New poster every 15 minutes||Trainee Top 10|
Who Should Attend
This conference provides in-depth education for pharmacists, pharmacy researchers, administrators, technicians, residents, and interns in the field of hematology/oncology. The conference is designed to help pharmacists and pharmacy researchers, administrators, technicians, residents, and interns who are specializing in hematology/oncology practice, as well as associated oncology/hematology professionals, improve the efficiency of healthcare delivery while maintaining high-quality patient care.
Why You Should Attend
Attend the HOPA Annual Conference to become informed about the latest developments in clinical trials, therapeutic regimens, treatment guidelines, and emerging technologies, and be well positioned to participate in healthcare initiatives and clinical decision making that will have a direct and positive impact on management of care for cancer patients. The HOPA Annual Conference is intended to educate attendees about promising research and new treatment regimens, provide clinical updates on treatment of tumor types and new supportive care therapies, and present an overview of common clinical and technical issues that arise in the hematology/oncology clinical setting.
Getting Approval to Attend
Here are some tips to help you get approval to attend the HOPA Annual Conference.
- Review the conference materials with an eye toward addressing your hospital or facility’s current needs or plans for the near future.
- Prepare an estimate of costs in advance, including registration fee, membership fee, airfare, hotel, and miscellaneous expenses (register on or before February 14, 2018, and save $50).
- Emphasize the opportunity you have to gain up to 19.5 contact hours at the conference.
- Identify a back-up person or process to ensure work coverage during your absence. Perhaps you can ask an assistant or department head to help.
- Seek approval immediately. An early request shows that you are a careful planner, and you may be able to take advantage of savings on both the registration fee and airfares. In addition, should your supervisor have any questions, you will have ample time to address them.
- Put your request in writing. Include a time-off request, your expected expenses, the specific benefits that your conference attendance will have for the hospital or facility, and the knowledge you will gain from the conference (refer, for example, to a session teaching a skill that you will be able to learn or enhance).
- Sometimes asking in person is better. Be sure to have all of the information about the conference with you for your supervisor to review.
- Ask for your supervisor’s recommendation of classes for you to attend. Encourage your supervisor’s involvement in your educational development.
- If you have attended the conference in the past, explain to your supervisor how the education offered particular value to your patients or institution.
- After asking for permission, follow up in a timely manner. A gentle reminder or an offer to discuss the conference may lead to approval.